I don’t know about you, but even as a morning person, mornings suck. Part of the job as a baker means that I’m up before the crack of dawn and covered up to my knees in flour and sugar before most of the population has hit rush hour traffic. Did I mention I also get hangry every two seconds if I don’t eat breakfast? I try and prep food the night before so that when I roll out of bed in the morning, I can dump things into a pan, pop it into the oven and forget about it for the next 10 minutes while I get ready. This one pan wonder has easily become my go-to breakfast, and makes a spectacular lunch (no reheating required!), or dinner.
It’s not only super duper easy to make, but also extremely versatile. If I’m feeling something light, mushrooms and spinach make a delicious combo, and if I want something more hearty, I will throw in some smoked salmon (mine is courtesy of Trader Joe’s), you really can’t go wrong! I make mine in a cast iron, but basically anything that is oven-safe and non-stick will work perfectly fine (think cake or pie pan, if you want to get creative!). Having company over for brunch? This recipe can be doubled or tripled or even quadrupled to keep everyone happy.
SPRING PEA & CARROT FRITTATA | Serves 2
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup unflavored soymilk, almond milk, or regular milk (optional)
- 1 tbsp unflavored oil
- 1 large (or 2 small) carrot shaved (a vegetable peeler works really well to make shavings)
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- Non-stick, oven-safe pan
- Heat oven to 350 ° F
- Crack eggs into a large bowl and whisk thoroughly until air bubbles form on the surface
- Add in salt, pepper, and milk (optional) and mix well
- Once pan is heated, add oil to the pan along with the carrots and peas. Cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes until carrots are softened and peas are cooked through.
- Spread vegetables out on pan and pour egg mixture over.
- Let the pan sit over medium heat for 2 minutes before transferring into the oven for an additional 6-8 minutes (if you like your eggs on the soft side, take them out closer to 4-5 minutes)